Thursday, March 31, 2011

Thursday Thank You Notes


Dear Life Raft,
I sure gave you the right nickname. You kept my head above water once again this weekend.
I was having one of those days.
Or weeks.
The Dancer is going through a special phase. She is currently specializing in whining, crying all night and clinginess. And I was starting to to get to that point. I hope all mother's know what I am talking about. I hope I am not the only one who gets to the "fight back" phase.
After a long period of being bossed, bullied, yelled at, whined at, complained at and just plain used, I start to see red. I look at my thirty pound antagonist and think, "I can totally take this kid. If she wants yelling, I can show her yelling. If she thinks that's a tantrum, I will show her a tantrum."
Not my finest moments, I know. So when I was teetering on the brink of sanity and crying about my baby turning into a minion of darkness you showed up.
On a Friday night.
When you are packing for a move and slammed at work and have your own daughters to care for.
You scooped up my crying, whining minion and took her to play with your cat. And then out to dinner. At Houlihans! And then to Walmart. And let her look at the fish. And bought her a doll. And bought me flowers. (They still look beautiful. I took this picture of them this morning.)
Seriously, Life Raft, talk about going overboard!
But talk about compassion. Talk about sacrifice. Talk about empathy.
I went out to dinner with the Artist and ate my food slow and had a grown-up conversation and I almost felt like a human again by the time you brought her back.
It made all the difference in the world.
I'm so grateful to have a friend who is like another sister.
I'm so grateful that you still think I'm a good person when I have seriously ungood thoughts my children. I'm glad you know that I love them when I can't stand them.
I'm thankful that you give me permission to fail without thinking I'm a failure.
I really, really love you.
My family got a real treasure when you came into our lives.
I know if I am treading water, you will throw me a line.
Thank you for keeping me from sinking under.
Love,
Tapper

No comments:

Post a Comment