Thursday, March 3, 2011

Thursday Thank You Notes

The hardest part of writing my Thursday Thank You Notes is not writing ten at a time.
There are hundreds, possibly thousands of people to thank for acts of kindness, both great and small. So these notes come in no particular order, rhyme or reason. I just start writing on Thursday morning as a memory pops into my head.



Dear Kristen,
I remember how it felt when the Cowgirl started kindergarten. Everyday I wondered if she was happy, if she was learning enough, if the other kids were nice to her, if her teacher liked her etc. etc. And under all my concerns for my baby girl was the nervousness of being a "school mom" for the first time.
Where do you stand while you wait to pick your child up? Who do you talk to? All the other moms know each other. All the other moms know what to volunteer for and how to help and what they are supposed to be doing. I sort of stood there, grinning and trying to follow the advice I gave the Cowgirl: Smile. Say Hello. Be friendly.
Thank you for befriending me with your infectious smile. You are inviting and warm and so kind. I'm glad Kate fell in love with "her baby" because it made it easier to get to know you when your little spitfire was always kissing my daughter. (Remember how worried Kate was that the Dancer didn't have any hair? Sorry to report that she still doesn't have much!)
I looked forward to seeing you and your huge smile every day. I miss that since we moved.
You once gave me a compliment in passing that I have thought of often on hard days. Funny how that happens. Sometimes people bless our lives almost by accident.
And when your smile was temporarily traded for grief, I'm sorry that I didn't know what to say. And sorrier that when I knew what to say I chickened out because I was terrified to utter anything that would make your pain worse. Thank you for letting me be a part of your happiness and your loss. Both are such gifts.
When friends trust us with some of their most poignant moments of life and let us learn from their difficult lessons, that is a gift.
I am so happy for all your blessings and grateful that I had the opportunity to get to know you.
Keep smiling.
Love,
Tapper

No comments:

Post a Comment