Friday, January 28, 2011

Confessions! Bad habit

So the big question that I must answer honestly today is....

What is a bad habit that you need to break?

Why hasn't someone invented a laugh track for blogs? I really need one. I mean I need the one where it sounds like the old man is about to guffaw his way to a cardiac arrest while the asthmatic wheezes out her last gleeful sounds.
Bad habit? As in singular?
I've broken each and every bad habit I've ever had - they just have a nasty way of gluing themselves back together and reuniting with me!
I will spare you the list.
Well, I'll give you a little taste of the list, just so you know that I really am being honest.
I need to stop washing my jeans with one leg all bunched up so it never gets dry.
I need to leave scabs where God intended - on my skin. (Sorry. That is so gross! I can't believe I said that out-cyberloud.)
I must stop leaving piles of stuff on my kitchen counter.
I have to stop skipping my morning workout which should be renamed my monthly workout.

But if I had to pick one to really tackle and get on top of then I think I need to strike a phrase from my vocabulary and my brain and my life. I must never again say "when I have time."

What a pointless thing to say. What a silly excuse. There is always time. There is never time. What we really have is choices. About a year and a half ago I decided to sew a button back on a shirt "when I had time." I just put that poor shirt in my give-away pile. I knew if I hadn't done it yet, I wasn't going to. So what I need to say is "do I choose to do this?" If the answer is yes, then I must do it right away.
If the answer is no, then I shouldn't tease and lie to myself that I will get around to it. Every time we do that we lose trust in the person who we depend on the most - ourselves.
I realize that we can't do everything at once. There are a few things I really do hope to get to in a different season of my life. Things like organizing our 17,000 photos or doing genealogy or earning a Master's Degree. But I don't say I'll do it when I have time.
I say I am looking forward to those adventures as soon as I get this adventure under control.
But right now I need to go attend to the Dancer. She disappeared for a few minutes and ended up in a pair of footie pajamas and wearing a life preserver. (Don't ask why we own a life preserver). I'm sure there's an explanation. I'm sure looking forward to hearing it.
I will write more.
When I have time.
Cyber wink

No comments:

Post a Comment